Welcome to/Bienvenidos a:
St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church
833 W. Main St., Mountain City, TN 37683
Pastor: Father Dennis J. Kress
MASS SCHEDULE: Sundays 11am
Bilingual Mass – First Sunday each month!
Church: 423-727-5156 (leave message)
641 Hemlock St., Mountain City, TN 37683
Church in Elizabethton:
Father Dennis Kress 423-543-3412
Emergency numbers: St. Mary’s in Johnson City, 423-282-6367 or 282-8696
St. Anthony’s Bread:
Open 1st Thursday 9am-2pm
3rd Thursday 9am-2pm, and 5-6 pm monthly
Our Mission Statement
As the Catholic family of St. Anthony of Padua, united in faith and nourished regularly by God’s Word and Sacrament, our mission is to give witness to God’s presence by acting justly, loving tenderly, and walking humbly with our God. (Micah 6:8.) We commit ourselves, through common prayer and worship, to mutual support, love and respect; to allocate 10% of our regular Sunday offering to “St. Anthony Bread” (our parish outreach ministry) and to maintain a county food pantry and be available and ready to assist all who find themselves victims of an emergency or an injustice.
“Act justly, love tenderly, and walk humbly with your God.”
October 17, 2021
29th Sunday in Ordinary Time
“You know that those who are recognized as rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them and their great ones make their authority felt. But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all.”
Anytime by appointment
If you live in the area and come regularly to St. Anthony Church, we would love to count you among our parish family.
Registration forms are on the bulletin board. Take home, complete, and return next Sunday.
Thank you and welcome!!
Gracias y bienvenidos!!
We welcome new members to our church as we join in a prayerful journey of faith together. R.C.I.A. (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) begins in the fall, leading to entry in the church at Easter. Please contact Fr. Dennis Kress after Mass or call 543-3412 St. Elizabeth’s, Elizabethton
Receiving Holy Communion is the celebration of unity in faith with the conviction that the “bread” is truly the body and blood of Christ. It is appropriate that only those who are actively practicing Catholics should receive.
Diocesan norms specify four months of preparation including an Engaged Encounter. Contact pastor before you set a date.
Last call to submit registration forms for your child for the upcoming 2021/2022 CCD classes. Please have your forms turned in no later than Oct. 3rd.
Due to the rise in COVID cases, we have decided to postpone the start of CCD classes until Sunday, Oct. 10th.
If you have any questions, feel free to call/text Bridgette Berger at (414)350-2299 or email@example.com.
Any adult wanting to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, please contact Marie-Jo Thum at (561) 901-4322.
Meets 3rd Monday each month, at 3:00pm, at St. Anthony Church.
Contact: Chris Larson at (262) 955-3128
- Pie of The Month
The pies will cost $10.00
In the beginning of October, after Mass, we will be taking orders for pies. They will be prepaid. See Karen Weaver on the way out to sign up. Pick up of pies will be ‘contactless” at the SAB building on Oct 31st.
WOMEN’S LUNCH OUTING
Every 2nd and 4th Wednesday. We will meet in the Church parking lot at noon.
Contact: Chris Larson (262) 955-3128
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS
Council of the Mountains 17160. Meet at St. Anthony Church the 2nd Wednesday monthly 7pm. All men over 18 are welcome. Call Don Larson at (262) 366-5740. firstname.lastname@example.org
MUSIC MINISTER — Marie-Jo Thum. New choir members welcome.
ST. ANTHONY BREAD (S.A.B)
We have an emergency food pantry to help the less fortunate in our community.
We are open twice a month: The 1st Thursday every month, 9am—2pm with Cross Roads Methodist Medical Mission on location. Also, the 3rd Thursday 9am—2pm and 5pm—6pm.
Food donations always welcomed. Bring Sundays.
We need volunteers!!
Contact Leni Smith
Thank you for all your support
FOR SERIOUS/EMERGENCY PARISH ANNOUNCEMENTS Contact Richard Thum so he can e-mail the parish to make us aware of any important announcements. He will use the Parish Directory for contacts. If you are a new member, give Richard your name and e-mail, (561) 271-6432.
FROM FR. DENNIS
In the case of someone’s illness, injury, death, special need, or any emergency, please call me at the St. Elizabeth’s phone number:
with a name and phone number for contact so that I can follow up (even if you hear through the grapevine.)
MINISTRY TO SICK and HOMEBOUND
Please call Tony (423) 727-4377 or email him email@example.com or Henry (423) 440-4913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to join our team or if you know of someone sick or would like a visit and receive communion.
Advertisements or announcements must be submitted by 4pm Thursdays.
Contact: Karen at (423) 707-5058 Email
WEEKDAY SCRIPTURE READINGS:
Go on-line to view or hear the daily readings.
Like and follow us on Facebook:
SUNDAY VISITOR ENVELOPES:
Beginning in 2022, we will no longer be using Our Sunday Visitor envelopes.
They are expensive and only used by a third of the parish’s families.
10% of the offertory will still be given to SAB.
Listed below are the ways to contribute.
- ON-LINE: Scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the online giving icon to start this process.
- BY CHECK this is assigned as offertory unless designated otherwise on the memo line of the check.
- BY CASH in a plain envelope with your name on it. This is assigned as offertory unless designated otherwise on the envelope. BY CASH all loose cash is assigned to the building fund.
- 2nd Collections will be announced the week before and a separate basket will be provided.
Giving is a blessing that changes lives for the better!
On-Line Contributions at
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND INFORMATION
- For people of the parish who need our prayers. Right now, those would be Pat Grimes, Rosemary and Frank Anderson, Keith Estevens, Mary Ann Hanrahan, and there may be others.
- October is Rosary month: The Knights of Columbus will be leading us on Sunday, Oct 3rd, and 19th, beginning at 10:30am. The Women's Group will lead us on the 17th, 24th, and 31st. If anyone would like to volunteer, please see Don or Chris Larson.
- Attention: Only authorized persons are allowed to adjust the thermostats in the Church. See Tony. Thank you!
- Attention: Those having a festivity here must clean up and leave it the way you found it.
- Notice: Per the Diocese rules – Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied by an adult when using the bathrooms.
- Emergency Assistance Program: St. Anthony Bread, our parish outreach ministry, added a new program in January to help those in our community who are experiencing financial struggles. We received a grant from St. Mary’s Legacy Foundation that allowed us to establish the Emergency Assistance Program which helps with utility bills. This program has filled a gap in our community for people who need a one-time assist with their utility bills. The need for this program goes beyond the money that is provided by the grant, but we have received assistance from our Knights of Columbus and from a few private donations. The need for this program in Johnson County is great and we hope to continue it throughout 2021 and 2022 and beyond. As members of St. Anthony of Padua parish, we are all contributors to this and all programs that SAB offers. Thank you for your continued support – St. Anthony’s is making a difference in Johnson County.
CALENDAR of EVENTS
- Weekly Bible Study – Wednesday at 7PM in person and on ZOOM.
- Card Making
The Women’s Group Meeting will follow at 3:00pm.
- November Craft Fair at the Armory
Everyone is encouraged to check our website for events or parish information.
Official church website:
Official church website:
ST ANTHONY OF PADUA CATHOLIC CHURCH